Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Afghanistan: Watching the firepower of the British Army


Our soldiers in Afghanistan tell their stories to reporter Harry Miller.

Fusilier Mark Barrs from Fulham lives with the rest of his company at Patrol Base Woqab, the 24-year-old said: “We had an operation a week or so ago that was probably the best thing I have done here so far.

"Calling in fast air support and watching the sheer magnitude of fire power being thrown at the enemy was amazing.

“My family are really proud of me and have been supportive ever since I told them I was joining the army, my dad especially so.

“I think it was something he always wanted to do but never got around to because of work and family so he was really happy when I told him I was signing up.

“If I hadn't joined I probably would have gone to work for my dad at his security firm and would never had got the chance to come somewhere like this. It has been a really good experience.

“My family always send me care packages in the post and it's great when you open them up and you see the trouble they have gone to but nothing beats being at home with my mum, dad and brothers.

“I'm also starting to really miss my girlfriend now, we have only been together for a few months but I can't wait to get back and see her and give her a cuddle.

"I am also really missing the English weather.

“It sounds weird but to get off the plane to a really rainy, cold day would be a dream after being out here in this heat the whole time.”

• For more from our reporter Harry Miller in Afghanistan, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment